Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Oh..I went To Alabama With My Golf Clubs In My Van

Theresa and I decided on a road trip rather than going to a resort or a cruise. We chose Alabama instead of Florida because information I picked up from friends and articles I read about the beauty and cultural benefits of a visit to that place. We left with our van packed and bicycles hanging out from the back of our van and drove ahead of the predicted ice storm.

For the first time in my life I had a small issue when crossing the border to the USA. Everything was normal until he asked to look in the back of the van. He asked me to roll the window down and I had accidently put on the child safe lock and had difficulty in conforming to his order. His demeanour changed and he came to the van door and asked me if I owned the vehicle. I answered in the positive and he questioned me as to where we were going I explained that we were going to visit friends and so on.

Next he asked if I had anything that I was taking into the USA. It was evident I did but he centered in on alcohol. I had stopped in at the duty free and picked up several bottles of cheap rum. He asked if we could not buy it in Florida.He sort of threatened us by saying he could send us over to the tariff office and pay a duty. I said nothing and finally he gave us back our passports and we were on our way.

We kind of smiled at the welcome but were determined to not let this to be a problem with our happiness at the beginning of our road trip. We sped along with our maps and interest in seeing as much of the countryside as we could. We travelled down to Kentucky and stayed for the night and enjoyed a great meal at a local restaurant. We knew that the next day would bring us to warm weather and maybe even a game of golf. We felt free of all stress and about to enjoy our 15 days of travelling in new areas and experiencing new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...