Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I Cannot Believe What I Saw

Yesterday I saw on the TV a scene that I thought I would never see in a Canadian city. I saw a troubled youth {18 yrs old} being shot by police . This youth was alone in the street car and did not appear to be endangering anyone but himself when he was confronted by several police.

He clearly had a small pocket knife and was holding it close to his chest, and he was standing away from everyone.. I expected the police to talk to him and see what the problem was. No...they yelled at him to drop the knife..then to not move. The boy was afraid of something but we will never know. One or more of the police there to protect us shot the boy. Not once to disarm him , but three times. There was a 20 second break and then six more shots rang out. A teaser was used and the many police entered the streetcar and stormed the youth.

After doing their best to kill him they tried to save him.I was shocked, angered and totally ashamed of our finest at this moment. Police should be trained to isolate and talk a decision to save the boy,instead one or more shot this boy in cold blood. Where was the threat to the life of a policeman or the public? Where was there a move by this boy to indicate that he would harm anyone ? He released everyone from the bus, he allowed the driver to leave. Where did we hear a police officer say word to assure the boy that all could be OK if he just settled down and asked what was troubling him.

Disgust was the feeling I felt as I have been and still hold a great deal of respect for the police in general but with a hoard of cops present did no one of the many police come forward to help and not hurt this sick youth?

Perhaps there was a few, but there were a lot of drawn weapons against a pocket knife. I recently attended a graduation of sorts in Pembroke where I was a guest of honour. 22 young and old police officers were inducted into the OPP and many were my former students. I stood tall and proud. In talking to some of them after the ceremony I asked the eldest of the group who was about to retire and asked him if he ever had to shoot at anyone. "Hell no", he said "I never had to take my gun from my holster"; a kinder environment and a more understanding policeman.

We shall all look on to see just where the justice system deals with this mess. I trust better than the police charged after the G20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...