Saturday, July 20, 2013

Nature's Wrath

We have been warned about a huge storm after the heat wave coming our way in fact coming from way out West.Theresa and I had some chores to finish before the Birthday party on Sunday and I was in a hurry up mode.We finished our shopping and with one eye on the sky and one on the road I drove into our yard. I expected the storm to explode but it did not happen.

Theresa and I were discussing some details in my basement room when the lights went out. I mean the sun was covered with dark clouds and we raced upstairs. Taking loose objects into the garage and covering our deck chairs took only a minute but right on signal the wind came.

Rain, torrential rain and gusts of wind up to 75 km per hour made it impossible to see across the street. Lightening and thunder shook our house and gave us a great light show. For half an hour our world was in Mother Natures hands. Theresa looked out the window and announced that our young maple split down the middle.

It fell right on my tomatoes and beans. It was night so I decided to wait until the morning to assess the damage. I awake at 5.30 and looked out the window and saw the mess. My garden was covered with the branches of the tree. The maple was 6 years old and 35 feet tall but since it grew so quickly it had little strength. The wind just tore t apart.

I got outside some time after 6am and tried to be quiet so I used my swede saw. I cleared away all of the branches and cut up the heavier limbs. I managed to salvage the tomatoes or at least some of them and the beans that I had growing up to 8 feet on a trellis. Everything turned out OK and I am thankful that the damage was only a reminder of what could have been.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...