Sunday, December 9, 2012

Uncle Russell

I received a call last evening from my sister Carol Ann and I knew the message before I returned the call. Uncle Russell passed away.This summer I missed the opportunity of a visit but he was resting when I arrived at his house and I did not wish to disturb him. It was perhaps better in the long run as I remember Uncle Russell as a younger, active and influential person in my life.

I was fortunate in having half a dozen uncles and four of them lived within a stones throw from my home. I had the benefit of four men who shared every minute of spare time actively engaging their extended family in healthy activities. Ma Vickers' boys used the spacious yard as a compound with their homes built around the family house.


The yard became a sports arena where horse shoe pits were built and used nearly every day. Ball gloves were in the outer porch and there was always an uncle to play catch and in winter a family size rink was built right in the middle of the yard.

All of my uncles nurtured us and made sure we played by the rules. Uncle Russell was probably the quietest of all my uncles but had a positive impact on our lives. He would listen to us and had this habit of looking at us and saying really when we spoke questionable statements. He would then not criticize us but give his patented grin and chuckle. He had a impish manner and expressive eyes that indicated to us his acceptance or rejection of our conduct.

Just after WWII when two of our uncles returned home there was a celebration at the family home. Uncle Matt and Buster arrived home and we as children were caught up in all the excitement. My cousin Adrian was in the kitchen and picked up a pack of Camel cigarettes. He motioned to Harry and I to follow him outside. We retreated to the old apple tree and each took a cigarette. These were not cork tipped but strong tasting tobacco. We had trouble lighting them but managed to send up a cloud of smoke. Our fun ended when this figure looked down on us with a big grin. He encouraged us to finish the smoke. I never smokes another cigarette in my life. I was sick, Russell never ratted on us but we paid the price.

The best experiences with uncle Russell came during the hot days of summer when he took all of us swimming at the back shore. It was a two mile walk down past the big pond and we always stopped by a small creek which oozed coppers water. He explained it was from the abandoned coal mine. That was the first time I was introduced to the word pollution.. At the back shore was a huge sandy beach in the shadow of the tailing's of the closed steel mill. We never ever saw anyone there except us. Russel had us running races and getting in the freezing water and just having fun laughing and making noise in a place that was otherwise silent except from the crashing waves from the ocean. He always said to point east and over there was England. We loved these times.

I got in a little trouble once when I disobeyed my Grandmother. There was a small crop pit beside the house and we were told to stay away. One evening after dark I saw uncle Russell removed the frame over the pit and placed a winch in it's place. He disappeared down a latter with his carbide lamp lit.. I saw this and tried to follow but the latter was tricky. Russel heard me and chased me up the latter. He was angry and told me never to do this again.  I knew I was in trouble but he never told Grandma  or Mom. That was the kind of uncle he was.

Uncle Russel was 90 years old and lived a quiet life with his wife and daughter. He will be in the memory of his nephews for years to come. He made a difference in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to earn more when you become a therapist or holistic practitioner, then it
    would make sense to have an open mind and move away from the mindset of treating your private
    practice as though it is a hobby, right. And, since you are going to look in the internet, you can easily pick out,
    from the many sites, the cheapest massage therapist
    that can give you the best Swedish massage of your
    life. Whether your goal is weight loss, fitness, overall good health, or proper nutrition, the
    modern physical therapist is qualified to conduct an overall health evaluation so
    they can customize a program that is appropriate for
    your current health status.
    Feel free to surf my web site ... hiwopuuv.blogoak.com

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...