Thursday, December 27, 2012

Golf With The Alligators

Alligators are a common sight on most golf courses in southern Florida. One course that Theresa and I played frequently had gators on 17 of the 18 holes. On this course there was a particularly large gator {12 ft or more} who loved to sun himself on the tee box of the first hole.

He was on that course for years and no one payed any attention to this big fellow. Theresa and I drove up to the tee box and there he was. Theresa stayed on the cart but I went up and set my ball carefully about 12 feet from this sleeping fellow. I took little time in taking a practise swing but hit the ball right away in the water. I was glad to be off that tee box but to my surprise there were gators on nearly every hole. Some holes had several gators but they were all small by comparison to this big fellow. There was an unwritten rule that the golf courses would have any gator over five feet taken away.

We got used to these beasts and actually enjoy seeing them but we always recognize that they are wild animals and care must be taken and respect shown for their ability to attack.

During the colder weather during the winter you hardly see any gators as they hide and sleep in holes in the banks of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...