Thursday, December 6, 2012

Saving a $100.

Theresa opened the door below our sink yesterday only to be greeted by a flood of water. The ten year old garburator  rusted out and was making a mess. We decided to go to home depot and get another one a have them install it. I find the room beneath the sink slightly small for my frame and besides I have to watch my back.

We went to the nearest Home Depot as they had the same make as ours and we were very satisfied with the service it provided. First we were surprised that no one knew what a garburator was so we explained. The man then learned me up on the proper name when he said I wished to purchase a kitchen food disposal unit. I was satisfied with my language lesson but take me to the whatever you call that thing I needed.

We were presented with a wall of these disposal units and found the exact one we have. Half hp and maybe all the plumbing will be the same. I saw the price was$105. with tax and wondered how much they charge for installation. $100. he said without embarrassment. A few minutes ago he was saying how easy it was to do it ourselves. We took the machine and drove home discussing how easy it was to save $100.

I took out the old unit and began to get the new unit ready. Wiring was needed so I used to wire off the old one. The new model had a different piping system and there were a couple of items I had to go get as they were not included.I discovered also that one of the pipes was a slightly different size. Back to Home Depot. This was now the third trip. I wasn't too pleased and Theresa's calm nature kept me focused.

Lying on my back, one shoulder inside the lower cabinet and the other reaching around the division between the two doors I suffered every minute. I finally got all the little stuff done and now had to join the motor and the pump to the sink. I tried everything but I could not hold the unit and get it situated so it could be turned and joined. Theresa had the idea of using phone books to hold the device so I could match the connectors. Three large phone books two small ones and 6 Oprah magazines did the trick.. Theresa holding the largest screwdriver as a pry maneuvered the unit in place.In three minutes we were trying the project out. Everything worked to perfection and not a leak.

Theresa is becoming a better helper all the time as she can read directions and shows patience which adds some civility to the job. It was a heck of a way to save $100.






1 comment:

  1. Ha ha... a professional probably could've done it in a snap! Sometimes time is money, but when you are retired, I suppose you have more it. : )

    Bravo for staying on course. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...