Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mocking Birds

The Mocking Bird is the Florida State bird and is such a vocal on you cannot miss it early in the morning with it's many greetings. We have not seen a Mocking Bird here at our home since we came down in October. This is unnatural as we usually have two nesting couples in our trees.

This morning as I lay awake at 6am I heard the distinct call of not one but several Mocking Birds. I  hurried outside with my camera and discovered what all the fuss was about.The birds traditionally used our light pole as their morning perch. This morning a squirrel was sitting there and causing trouble.  The squirrel made a move to leave but IT on the wire was no place to fight off an attack from an angry Mocking Bird.

I watched for a while and took a few pictures but all the time I was so happy to see the return of our nesting couples. They have already scouted the close by trees for a nesting location. We will have the pleasure of waking up to their call for the next months ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...