Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothers

Everyone has a Mother. This makes mothers the most influential group of people in the world. Even in countries that have little regard or respect for women  their role makes them so important in bringing up a nation and guiding the youth in acquiring their values.

Mothers are honoured every year in May and a special day is declared. People chose to celebrate in many different ways but flowers and gifts seem to be the most common in North America. In our large family we had a routine which was repeated every year. We would attend church in the morning, wearing a flower. Red if your mother was alive and white if she was deceased. I remember one time making what I thought was a smart remark when I suggested that pink would be appropriate if your mother was sick. My Mom straightened me out in a hurry.

After church we would walk home to dinner prepared by our father. He never much cared about church attendance but he could cook when necessary. Immediately after dinner we boys and sometimes the girls would run down to the Big Pond forest and look for May flowers. These tiny pink and white flowers were the provincial flower of Nova Scotia and usually bloomed in May.After we picked a bunch we would grasp them tightly in our hands and race home to present them to Mom.

It always amazed me how excited she would be as we each in turn presented her with our lovely flowers. Mom acted excited with each offering and carefully placed them in water. They only lasted a short time but these flowers represented the love and respect  we held for our Mom. Time went on and soon I was married and the father of four children. My children used to make Mothers Day special for their  mother. I always felt a special inner glow as my kids honoured her and  I thought of the happy times I had on Mother's Day when I was a child.

Mothers are special and were more women in charge of more responsible positions in this world it would be a better place by far.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...