Thursday, May 10, 2012

Funerals Bring People Together

The last few days back in Pembroke brought me the opportunity to reunite with people I have not seen for years. Some I saw at the last funeral but for the most part the people were years apart from our last greeting. We stayed with our great friends John and Joan and while there another long time friend Doug shows up and the line of people begins.

I will not attempt to name all the folks that came to honour Arlyss but a few have to be noted. My office boss and long time friend Betty was there and with my girls we had a good chat. It is a rewarding feeling to be once again in person with people who had such an impact on our lives. It gives you a quick look into the past and a warm feeling all over.

June and Janis and many more shared a few minutes but during those precious moments part of our life was rekindled. For the most part the people with whom Theresa and I mingled with were folks that had a history in my life and having the opportunity to for Theresa to meet them meant much to me.

As we returned to John and Joan's home before leaving for Oakville I felt that my batteries were recharged and our conversation during the five hour drive home was filled with a discussion about how all these people fitted into my life. It was impossible for me to fill in all the gaps during our talk but it was rewarding for me to be able to give Theresa some of the background so she will be able to put a face on some of the people I talk about on a regular basis.

Most people I know are right there in my mind and the time we are away from each other are just moments when we once again meet.I believe celebrations of life are just that: time for the living to understand the true meaning of their place in the natural order of things. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...