Friday, February 3, 2012

My Favourite Arctic Animals

While living in the high Arctic I discovered pure joy in my relation with the animals. When I arrived in Akaluktutiak to be interviewed it was in February and the temperature was near 50 below zero. The only wildlife in the hamlet were the numerous dogs. I found out however that the land was actually full of wildlife.During the week I shared with the people there I was given an opportunity to look around and was provided with a snow-machine to get about.

On my first excursion I headed out of town to see Mount Pelly. It looked about a couple of miles away but actually it was about15 miles distance from the Hamlet. I followed a well travelled trail and encountered numerous Arctic hares. Large for a rabbit and stood nearly three feet when standing ion it's hind legs.

About a mile out I encountered some Peary Caribou and this was the first time I ever saw these smaller Caribou native to this area and becoming endangered due to heavy hunting. They were not too afraid so I watched them for a while.

Next came the biggest surprise, the snowy owl. This year was one which produced many lemmings so there were many owls. I got within a few feet of the owl before it flew off. I discovered it was eating a lemming. On my first day out on the tundra I saw four of natures creatures and it made my day.I did not photograph these animals as I had no working camera because of the cold.

My week ended and I returned home with the great enthusiasm of returning and getting the opportunity of actually seeing and photographing the Arctic animals like the muskoxen and polar bear.

2 comments:

  1. It would be wonderful to discover them as one would thing that there was nothing out there in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowy owls would have to my favorite on the tundra animals list. They have been seen in numbers further south this year but it must be nice to see them
    In their naturally snowy habitat.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...