Friday, February 17, 2012

Best Trip South I Ever Shared With Henry


Shared is the word as I had a helper this year for the Journey to our Florida home. Henry came along and carried the load by driving with skill and speed. !438 kms the first day and only 800 the second day. We try to average 100 kms an hour and we did. It was a great help to have the young lad along not only for his driving but a new audience  for the stories about laces and things we experienced during the previous years.

The weather was perfect and we were able to see the seasons pass before our eyes as we sped through New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia and finally Florida. A highlight was a herd of deer with a count of about thirty spotted by Theresa. We took advantage of the HOV lanes where possible and they give relief to any traveller wishing to navigate through a strange area.

 I had a cramp in my foot and attempted to take off my running shoe while driving. My bending ability is impaired so I had difficulty trying to pull the bow out of the laces. I kicked off the running shoe but it ended up under the brake and gas pedal. Trying to clear up this mess came to Henry's attention and the erratic way I was driving caused him some concern. I tried to act cool but I was beginning to worry as I couldn't reach the shoe. Finally I made contact with it and tried to pull it back with my other foot. Again my driving became erratic but I did get control. I will not try to describe how I put it back on but you get the picture. Never try to change shoes while driving your car.

Arriving home in Florida always makes me feel real good and with the extra help we were able to get off the shutters, put on the water and do all the little things that make our place a livable place.We picked oranges and bananas and prepared to relax but there were other chores to do. Henry made them look easy so we settled in quite nice  and look foreword to sharing a short visit with Henry.

1 comment:

  1. We use to travel north in the summer and open up an old rickety cabin. It was always fun to get it all up and running and check out the lake. Also get food in the fridge and cook the first meal. It looks like your weather down there is great. Glad you had a great trip and a great helper.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...