Monday, May 2, 2011

Voting

There is one part of the democratic process that gives above all else the sense of belonging to a nation which believes and practises true freedom of choice of leadership and that is voting. We Canadians have honoured this right by holding free elections and permitting everyone of voting age to cast their ballot in secret. Personally I have exercised my right faithfully at all levels and am very proud to do so along with every member of my family and grandchildren.

This year Lyndsay marshalled all the kids to the polls and checked to make all five of the eligible grandchildren accountable. The oldest member of our family is Doris who is nearly 94 and voted today with her daughter. Our voting will have little effect on the total outcome of the election but it shows that we value our freedom and privilege of voting.

It is sad that the number of people who vote is smaller than it should be this time there is a sense of something big is going to happen. Maybe the people will vote for a majority or they do not trust enough and will ask that we remain a minority government. Whatever the outcome,  it will be our government and we should stand behind the elected people to make sure that there is a sense of unity and the elected people will work together to make a better Canada.


A democracy is a fragile institution but gathers its strength through the collective will of the people gathered through the election process. It is an imperfect system but is the envy of many countries who suffer through unstable leadership who do not have the support of the citizens as we do because they fail to have democratic elections. I thank my country for extending me the privilege of living in a participation democracy.

1 comment:

  1. Here, here! I get a lump in my throat every time I vote. It makes me feel part of something bigger than myself and stirs a sense of pride ... of country and democracy.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...