Sunday, May 1, 2011

Early Start




For the past number of years we have been returning to Ontario around the first week in May. This year we arrived home to miserable weather two weeks early. It tirned out just fine as we can enjoy the sight of our tulips and spring flowers and the thrill of the opening of the blossoms on our fruit trees. I was home early enough to apply that spray before the buds opened.

Yesterday was just perfect for that ugly job of cleaning the three small ponds of the leaves and muck that acculuminates every year.The water was cold and the muck finds a way of covering you with an odor which can only be described as ugly. With these tasks underway I had time to phone my friend Doug who is my source of knowledge when it comes to trees. He has gathered many trees on his property and is quick to take you for a tour of his small forest and give you the names and characteristics of each. I look forward to the tour this spring when we will get to the Valley for a visit.

Winter was kind to my plantings this year, probably because of the heavy snow pack, and everything I planted is growing or showing signs of life. We who love to get our hands in the soil and actually grow things get a special feeling in the springtime when nature shows us her power to bring life and beauty to all who wish to see.

1 comment:

  1. It has to be a shock to return to the colder side of Ontario. I use to visit Minnesota in the summer and they too were in hold for spring so many times as ours had pass a few months before.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...