Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Senior Moments

Have you ever second guessed yourself about important issues?I left Florida in a big hurry and had a check list a mile long. As I completed each task I stroked it off. The list was down to the stage where you shut off all the services and make sure the alarm system is working and the bug control program is ready to be actuated as you scamper out of the house and wait to hear the signal that all is well. This year it did not happen just like that. At the very last moment before leaving our home I started all the spray cans to control the bugs and spiders when we are away. This time however I turned on one can right under a fire alarm. As I closed the door for what I thought was the final time I heard this horrible signal.....the spray actuated the fire alarm.

Not to worry I had a minute to go back in and turn off the offending alarm. On re-entering I was met with this powerful smell of bug spray and my eyes quickly watered. I did find the main security box but it read..police on the way. I reset the alarm and made my way out leaving my hot chocolate and melting arctic bar on the kitchen counter. Once outside I  decided enough was enough so I never went back for my travelling treats,

Knowing that the police were on their way I waited by my van hoping to see the police arriving with guns pointed and prepared to arrest me. They never came for a reasonable time so I headed to Canada at about 1.30 am. When I arrived home and on the trip home I constantly questioned myself and retraced every step. Theresa made it even worse by asking about several things which made my anxiety rise to an unacceptable level. Incidentally the police did arrive and my neighbour handled the situation for me. Because of these uncertain moments we decided to go back down for a week of R and R and to make sure this time everything is perfect. When you work as a team and one member is missing it brings a new dynamic to everything you do. We depend upon each other and don't realize it until we are apart. Thank our lucky stars we are not apart very often.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate! Are you sure you aren't just looking for a good excuse to visit your dreamy Florida tropical retreat?? I wouldn't blame you a bit if you were. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't count the number of times I've left the house with something undone, whether leaving for vacation, or leaving to run an errand.

    Most recently I left my curling iron on, lying on the bathroom counter, and had to turn around and go home half way to the grocery store.

    I think I'm just a little too scatterbrained...

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...