Thursday, January 6, 2011

Surveying the Damage



Leaving the airport and beginning our short journey to our home in Florida filled my mind with thoughts of the last devastation caused by frost. The day we left for our three week Xmas at home, Florida was given an Arctic blast of cold air which caused horrific damage to the food producers of the state. All during my stay at home I worried about my little garden and the trees ready to bear fruit. I took all reasonable measures to protect my yard but still I had reservations.

As we pulled up to our home our driver John was helpful in getting our luggage out and moved to the house while I was looking for signs of damage. Minutes after arriving I grabbed my flashlight and made for the back yard and the garden. Immediately I saw the poor banana tree brown and frost bitten followed by the lack of leaves on the orange and grapefruit trees. The vegetable portion of our yard had been spared and the tomatoes, carrots, peppers, beans and cauliflower survived. Although it was 10 pm and dark I felt better but as I looked at the pool my heart sunk as it was a ugly green with gobs of algae on the bottom.

I felt better as the sun came up and I immediately vacuumed the pool and added two gallons of chlorine. Almost like a commercial on TV there became a clearing and by the end of day all was OK. We were spared while others suffered, life was restored to our yard and really the long term damage was minimal. Old Mother Nature has a way of teaching humility and does so in such an even handed way. It rains on the rich and the poor and does not discriminate.

So we are back to our routines after a wonderful three weeks at home with family and friends and begin our connection with our Florida family of friends. We have the best of two worlds and appreciate the gift of being able to manage both. After surveying the damage I wonder why I even gave it a second thought, guess I am too attached to my natural roots. The minister in Pembroke called me a damm pantheist; maybe he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...