Friday, January 21, 2011

Lazy Friday

This morning started off much like all Florida mornings with the temperature around 70 and bright sunshine. With my cup of green tea I made my way to my favourite reading area on the lanai and searched the sports news to see how Mike Weir was doing in the Bob Hope Classic. Much to my surprise his name stood fourth last in the group of 120. Next I checked to see how Detroit Red Wings made out and they won. My morning was better already.Most of the news after that was about shootings, crime and the housing market which is improving.

Theresa joined me and on this quiet morning a Ra-ta-ta from a woodpecker hammering on the eave trough made any conversation impossible. We have two wood peckers living close by and they love to wake everyone up by pecking on metal surfaces. We both got up and observed the bird which was joined by its partner. Double the pleasure. With nesting in full force we suddenly have the mocking birds coming forth with a variety of melodies all day long. We usually are lucky to have at least one pair nest in our trees. Without a doubt they take the prize for the best songs. They have this habit of sitting on our fence watching for their food to appear. Any flying bug or insect becomes their prey. They have the ability to spot and catch nearly every time. They never eat off our feeder but take regular baths in our bird bath.

In the dry season our bird bath becomes the watering hole for a variety of birds and feral cats. We keep it clean and full of water. So on this lazy Friday morning we are entertained by the creatures who share our little spot in paradise.With no warning heavy fog rolls in and in a matter of minutes the sun disappears and we are blanketed in a surreal environment. If this keeps up I shall be forced to do the list of little jobs posted on the refrigerator. So much for my Lazy Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...