Saturday, January 22, 2011

Out With the Old, In With the New

At this time of the year I start my second crop of beans, cauliflower, lettuce and carrots. This year in spite of the frost we had 100%  success with the cauliflower, beans and lettuce. The colder weather was good for the cauliflower as it was the best yet. Our tomatoes are coming in great numbers and should produce until we leave in May. I am not used to having two crops and it is a pleasure to have fresh beans and so forth during the winter months.

What amazes me is why more people do not have a kitchen garden. With little effort we get good results and we know what goes into the produce. Our citrus is the same, as we do not spray harmful chemicals and fertilizers and the product is green. My friend who sells citrus fruit trees at the market said that this because of the frost the product would be sweeter and so it is. Our trees are a little stressed and have not yet been in full bloom for next years crop so we could have trouble next year.

Local people here are called crackers and are proud of the name as many people who live here now are from all over the states. Their knowledge is invaluable and they are anxious to share. I love my time at the market and mingling with the locals who make their living from the land.

When I buy beets, I really buy them for the beet tops. The locals are wise to this and sell the beet tops for $.50. This is a good deal as greens cost $2.00. With the second crop in safely I can now water, feed and wait  55 days before I can once again eat our own fresh grown produce. Until then we buy at the local market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...