Friday, June 4, 2010

One by One

It seems that when you hear of death of a friend the event becomes not one but several. Last week my close and long time friend"s mother passed away at age 98. Last eve I received a call telling me of another grand old lady from the Valley passing away. She was 101 years old. Her daughter was concerned about her and expressed that feeling when I talked to her at the last funeral.

This lady was one of a kind and possessed that joy of living until the end. She was an independent woman and toiled all her life as a farmers wife and partner. She had a sparkle in her eye and a great sense of humour. One time I was buying meat hens from her. I used to buy ten at a time and they were large. As a joke I told her that if she couldn't grow them any larger I would have to buy them from one of her friends, Mrs. M. She did not say a word as I ordered ten more for the next year. I received her call next fall to say my chickens were ready. That Saturday morning I arrived at her house to pick up my chickens but something was different. We talked a little and I had a short conversation with her husband about politics and then the master stroke.

With a grin she said to get the box of chickens. This time there were three boxes and the total weight was one hundred and thirty five pounds. "Are they large enough?" she grinned. Well, they were the largest chickens I ever saw. I can grow them larger if you wish she said with an impish smile. She had fun with that and I never tried to get ahead of her as she was sharp as a tack.

Politics, business and family was important to her. When Pembroke celebrated its sesquicentennial I requested that she make a quilt for me as a token of remembrance. She and other Micksburg ladies made me the most beautiful quilt depicting the history and culture of our little city. There are many reasons to remember this fine person and she will be missed for sure. She left a legacy of service to her community and it is being continued by her daughter who has some of that same Valley spirit and come to think of it has that same twinkle in her eye to remind you to be on yours toes when dealing with her.

Losing these wonderful citizens is painful but seeing them replaced by their own gives us confidence that her spirit lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...