Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dad's Helper

My son is visiting us today and little does he know the jobs I have lined up for him. Henry has always been a good helper and has been my loyal assistant on many projects. From early life he was a reliable helper and when we worked together he knew my thoughts and without much verbal communication we functioned as a well oiled team.

Now we are older and I find myself being the assistant in many cases as he has become a very efficient worker and undertakes projects around his house and mine that few would attempt. He can read plans and execute them effectively. I never took the time to read plans and instructions and often found myself taking twice as long as I should have. His field is centered around electronics and has helped me in so many ways. All my family are pretty handy with computers and cameras and use this skill to communicate.

I wait for my son to come and set up a new (new to me ) music center for my garage and get my CD player hooked up (for the third time) to my TV. These chores get done when I get help. His visits are partly work but always fun. Today we have to schedule the laying down of a floor for my grand daughter and putting on a new roof at my house. A small section has to be replaced and it too small a job for a contractor but a one day for us. I messed up my GPS somehow so he took it and re-programmed it for me. He likes it so somehow I feel I may be waiting for its return.

I look forward to these little visits and the time I share with my son. It is a good feeling to have family close enough that we see each other at times other than weddings and funerals. My daughters are helpful as well but I only have one son. I am beginning to rely on him more and more to take charge of the heavy going. In return I make his favourite meal and enjoy the company.

2 comments:

  1. You got me there! I don't know much about roofing and building. Can you have him drop over and see me after ... I have my own list. : ) Just kidding of course. I guess sons are pretty special- especially when they are named Henry. He has grown on me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest is like that too, set to help around whenever he visits.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...