Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MRI

The machine was a monster. My Dr. ordered me to have a MRI to better judge the treatment of my arthritis. He thought there might be a wait but told me to volunteer to go any time if a cancellation was made. I received a call the day after but I was not home. I missed the chance but a few days later I received another call so 8 days after my request I was on my way to the hospital.

I really did not know what to expect but filling out the sheet made me a little nervous. One question asked me if I was claustrophobic. All my nervous thoughts were laid aside when I entered the cubicle to prepare for the 30 minute experience. Taking off all my clothes except my shoes and underwear and donning a robe which covered half my body was not pleasant but being laid out on the sliding bed and pushed in to the small cave was a experience. The operator asked if I wanted a cloth over my eyes before entering and told me if I experienced difficulty she was right there to help.

I barely fitted the slot and with my hands by my side I felt very vunerable. What to do if a fly lands on my face. I was told not to move. I closed my eyes and tried to think of something but already I felt uncomfortable. As I was pushed further in she announced the show would begin. Bang and the noise started. For minutes I was moved, bombarded with unnatural sounds and generally unable to have a nap. It was over and when I was pulled out she told me I was only there for 17 minutes and the machine broke down. I had to go back in after the small repair job and this time I knew what to expect. Thirty minutes later it was all over.

It is remarkable what this experience did for my health. My Dr. will receive a report containing information vital to his diagnosis. Technology is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...