Thursday, March 13, 2014

Friends Through The Net

More and more I rely on the computer to maintain and re-connect with old friends. After secondary school members of your inner circle of friends decide on further schooling, travelling or working but the result is the same. We move on and get separated one way or another with our own self interests and drift apart.We sometimes meet by accident and share phone numbers in past years but now we give email addresses or set up skype times to further the connection.

I have been able to keep many of my childhood friends over the years but some who were important to me escaped my view. After your family grows up and you are left mostly alone with your spouse you have time to find your old friends.One of my childhood friends who is also my cousin was one such person. Tom and I dreamed dreams together about wanting to be jet pilots and even skipped school to travel over to Sydney to see the super sabers landing and making a show for the people. We even sat in the cockpit of one of them and our dream was almost a reality until we graduated and never got into military college or secured our future in aviation

We remained friends and Tom became a RCMP helicopter pilot. I went into education and helped many young people achieve their goals. After thirty plus years we got together again and had a couple of shared experiences in Cape Breton. Now we communicate by skype and telephone.

The interesting and common factor in reconnecting is that if they are true friends you feel you were never apart when you meet . The time in between is not lost but just on hold for a while. Tom and I plan to meet this summer for a little visit and the stories about fishing will surely produce fish even larger than they were last year. This is another benefit of growing old gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...