Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day

Every year I write about Mother's Day as I have such fond memories of this day back in Cape Breton. Being from a large family it is difficult to  have all the attention you needed or wanted. Mother's Day provided us an opportunity to reach out to Mom on her special day and seek and find a few moments when you related to her personally. On this day all the family joined in  and made a fuss over the person who made life possible and worth while.

As we age we profile our Moms in a different manner. Your Mom becomes a much clearer leader and influence as you realize the tremendous effort she made to look after nearly a dozen people. All my memories are positive now and my little regret is that she passed away before I had a real chance to reward her for all she had done for us and the result that her devotion had made on so many.

Mom's living legacy is in the lives of her children who have achieved so much. The fact that Mom was a proud person and demanded so much from us that we now pass on the values she instilled in each of us. For me one of the constant reminders I have is when I cook. She had a number of dinners and items that I still love today and feed my children these special but simple foods that have become traditional.

Mom was known to hear that the minister was coming down the lane unannounced and she would have a pan of squares ready when he stepped through the door. We had some laughter in our kitchen when Mom burned the steak or was so busy she forgot something but it was never anything but empathic and in good fun.

Noon hours were special times for us as we always walked home for noon recess. Our favourite noon lunch was corn cake or Johnny cake, hot with butter and molasses. Squares large and inviting sent us back to school with a full belly ready to take on the school work of the afternoon.

Cape Bretoners loved their fish and Mom used to bake fresh cod and vegetables. I could never replicate her recipe but the smell and taste is still there. This seems much about food but when you live in a home with a dozen people the communication time is around the table. We were well served with all the wonderful treats we received at that table and the advice and wisdom shared by Mom and Dad. There were times when the topics caused much chatter but we always seemed to manage.

On Mother's Day even yet I have a special little time when I shed a happy tear recalling the time shared with Mom and Dad around that kitchen table and seeing once again my brothers and sisters seated in their assigned places and listening to our betters help us to grow up to be good citizens and worthy Canadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...