Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving weekend is very special for our family. It is not only a time to realize just how fortunate we really are but it is our family get together. For us it is the turning point and turn around time as we trek to our southern home right after the shared time with family.

Fall is in the air and leaves are falling, my garden is out, and ground prepared for next spring and I am looking forward to our Florida garden. There is always a hint of sadness at the end of the Thanksgiving celebrations as we will not see our friends and family until Christmas. This year Doris will not be sharing time with us in Florida and we will miss her. Good telephone plans help to keep in close contact.

During the last week I have renewed contact with several friends from the past and that brought some joy to our life. It is almost like getting a surprise gift when the phone rings or you get an email from friends with whom you have not been in contact for some time.

This year all of our family with the exception of one  will share hours of time and Lynda's home will a hub of activity. Lively discussions, stories and some achievements told and sometimes embellished by the younger ones makes for real good family time.


When I was in the High Arctic I had a Thanksgiving turkey and invited my young friends to a special dinner. I tried to make it as much like our traditional dinner to stay off the lonely feeling I had from being separated from my family at this time. The Inuit children were great and followed all the rules I made to give them a special experience. It was special and after dinner and cleanup we spoke of the meaning of thanksgiving. I was amazed at the conversation from the little ones and what they were thankful for. Every one was thankful for an unselfish memory and before leaving to face the below zero weather I received thanks and a hug from each. I shall always remember that first Thanksgiving dinner away from home and family and how the Inuit Children made me think about all the wonderful life  experiences I received throughout my life. Now I miss those kids and their wonderful ability to be thankful for very little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...