Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Planting Nearly Completed

Last year we decided to cut down on our Florida garden. As we were in a shortened time here ,pot gardens seemed to be a nice compromise. This year we will have 8 large pots planted and the small plot set aside for tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and squash.

I always keep the ground covered so there are no weeds. One year I learned my lesson when I left the garden plot uncovered and after six months we had weeds ten feet tall. This year I attended the Home Depot green house and was shocked at the huge increase in prices for potted plants.

I immediately decided to grow everything from seeds. Single four inch pots with one tomato costs $3.69. Ridiculous, and I let them know. Larger pots cost more and the tomatoes in a large pot ready for your patio were priced at $14.50 each.

Growing from seeds is more fun anyway. The prices on every item was up at least 40 percent. I shopped around and all the box stores were the same. I have some new trees growing in my garden as I planted some nuts but I forgot what they were. In any case they are off to a good start. I shall transplant them in the next week when we expect rain.

Our bananas are ready to spring forth with fruit and this year I expect our Star Fruit tree to blossom. It is three years old and very healthy. After you plant something here you can expect to have the task of trimming every year after.

I am trying to get one new flower for the  pool deck this year to bring some colour to the place. We hope to have our place in order by this weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...