Sunday, October 21, 2012

Summer Damage

We leave our auto in the garage all summer when we are in Canada. This is not a good idea in one sense unless your garage is air conditioned. The humidity is so high that tools and in fact all metals deteriorate here in Florida during the humid summers. This year we had to replace the wipers and battery on our car. The wipers were old but they crumbled at first use this fall. The battery was also old but corroded because I neglected to disconnect the terminals.

I went to my favourite discount car parts store and purchased new product. They also install free but as my car was at home I decided to do it myself. I had difficulty in finding the battery and so did my neighbour because it was under the back seat. It was also locked down with a double lock system which was corroded so badly it took quite an effort to get the darn thing out. It also weighed over 50 lbs and was side mounted. The cleanup of the battery compartment was necessary because of the years of battery waste. I managed the installation without incident.

The wipers were another thing. I had difficulty getting the wipers off and when I did the spring on the wipers were so strong that when I released it it hit the windshield with such force it cracked the shield. This did not happen once but twice and I still was not successful in getting the wipers in place.

I did the only thing a proud man could do and asked Theresa if she would take her car to the store and have the wipers installed and return the old battery for the $12 exchange deal. It was not my best day but the car is running  and I shall get the windshield fixed on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...