Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Brown's Grocery

That picture brings me back a few years. That picture was probably 1974. Gas was 37.9 cents a gallon. Hard to believe. We as a family worked long and hard to keep the store open and successful. All the kids got their business sense by working there. Lynda worked the most and longest but everyone chipped in. I remember I had the early morning shift at seven am and travelled by ski do in the winter.We sold everything you could think of and then some. I really believe it helped to bond our family. The summer with the fruit business was a high point for me and I know all of you had a trip down south at one time to purchase those great peaches from Mr. Fritz.

This store was more than a place where people purchased items . The folks from Quebec were some of our best and consistent customers as they called in when leaving Pembroke to cross the bridge. They would buy their gas there because it was the least expensive in the area and we had items that they forget to buy at the larger stores. Because we stayed open until 11pm every day people used to come at the last minute to purchase needed for school lunches and sometimes pop for mix at late night parties.

My wife was the manager but her mother, sister and all of our family put in time there.We socialized with the customers and got to know many people during our years at that location. It will always be fixed in my memory the first few weeks of ownership. None of us had any experience in the business except Roma and she held the fort until we learned enough to become useful.

It is only a memory now but a happy one, filled with hard work, long hours and a feeling of identy. Browns was the west end convenience store and a true family business.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful experience, it's so nice to have those family memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long hours. Hard work. No many breaks or down time. But working side by side with my family was the most rewarding experience of my life and the best management education I could hope for.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...