Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Help From The Old Man

Our home in Pembroke was set on an oversize lot but had one fault. There was a long driveway but no garage.This was not a problem until we converted our oil burning furnace to wood/oil.I needed a place to store the 8 cords of wood we needed to supply fuel for two fireplaces and a Welcom furnace.

I drew up some plans for a large garage measuring 24 by 30 with a loft. I was not planning to put a proper foundation but rather a pad. It was a large project for busy me and I phoned my dad. Charlie Brown was a carpenter as well as many other things but when I approached him it was for a visit.

My Mom had passed away and Dad was alone and needed a break so he said he would come if I would drive him back home.He arrived and after a day I brought up the idea of a garage. He knew I needed help and when he looked at my plans promptly made changes and offered constructive input into the layout for wood and cars,It became his project.

We went to a local mill where dry lumber was available and he picked out the heavy sills with care and all the 2/4 had to be straight. I was going to buy pre-fab rafters but Dad wanted us to build our own. The lumber was delivered and my curious neighbours came by and met dad and became involved.My friend Chuck showed up with his work belt and hammer as did others. Dad was in his glory.

I was Mayor of Pembroke at the time and had many commitments so I was called away frequently. The structure was beginning to take shape under Dad's supervision and the help from the friends. I shall always remember getting out of my car after a meeting at city hall feeling guilty but Dad reassured me not to worry as they were getting along just fine.

After one week the main structure was completed and the windows set when we had a meeting. Dad was not satisfied with the roof and the snow loads we could anticipate.This was good thinking as the next year our area had heavy snow and many structures fell to the snow loads. He thought that we should install a weight bearing post every four feet down one part of the garage. We agreed and it was done. Putting on the shingles of the roof had neighbours, kids and nearly a dozen people helping. It was completed in less than a day.

I thought that we should take a break as Dad was not a young man but he insisted we go on.Siding was completed and doors installed but Dad wanted to build a door directly to the loft above the main garage doors. He had a plan and said he would complete it next day. Our family were returning home together in our car and as we enter the driveway there was Dad up on a latter balancing this heavy door above his head. He was on the top rung of the ladder and was struggling twelve feet in the air.

I stopped the car and jumped out to help, too late. Dad dropped the door and as the latter slid down the side of the garage he gently landed on his feet and reached for a match to lite his pipe still between his lips. Just thought I would come down for a break he said not changing his expression. We laughed but were silently happy with the result. After supper that night we put up that door and I wrote on the inside, job completed and well done by Charlie Brown my Dad.

That evening Dad said he wanted to go home soon but first he had a little job out on the farm of my sister. A few days later we all got together to say goodbye and Dad and I were off to Cape Breton.It was a two day trip as I took him home through the USA and I had days of uninterrupted conversation. We spoke of many things both personal and helpful in understanding this complex man. I always will remember the special visit when the old man built our garage and he built friendships with the neighbours as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    wcn

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...