Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mothers Day

Every year when Mothers Day comes around I have memories that pop up to keep Mom alive in my life. It is 42 years since Mom passed away but it does not seem that long ago. When I talk on the phone to my siblings our conversations usually get around to some Mom stories. Jeannie and Carol have great memories of their mother and shared some of them with me while I am completing my latest book.
I asked the family to pass on a few pictures of Mom and Dad as I have very few. I was amazed that in this day we would not have many more photo memories of our parents. When we were youngsters I cannot remember a camera in our home until they became common everywhere.

How I wish I had a picture of Dad building that monstrosity of a hay baling machine or some of the unique toys he built for our backyard. A few pictures of Mom appeared in the mail and I was astonished to see Mom in six or seven and she looked just great. Mothers Day has become a commercial event  for some but in reality we celebrated Mothers Day as a family day and all eyes and attention centered on our Mother.

Mothers have come a long way and the picture of Mom's in the home all day long is not really the picture of motherhood today. Moms contribute to every walk of life and have shone to be good at nearly everything they try. I know that given the opportunity for an education my Mom would have been a leader in a myriad of fields. Look what she accomplished with limited resources and a work load that three women could not master today.

Mothers Day does stir up memories of Mom but I see her now as a leader of a family and a person that made it possible for her children to make a positive contribution to Canada and society in general. Mom was truly a Super Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Love this picture of Ma Brown Dad, and I am proud to come from such a strong stock of women -- and men!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...