Friday, October 30, 2015

A Friend

Yesterday I saw a dear friend pass away from this life. For some it might become the end of a very active and endearing friendship.For me it was anything but as her memory will stay with me forever as a person who shared and enhanced my life for over a quarter of a century. We became a working team which from the very beginning was one sided as her knowledge and willingness to share it enabled me to mesh into Pembroke with relative ease.

Over the next nearly 30 years she became a wonderful friend to our family as well as work partner.Betty was one of the feistiest ladies I ever had the good luck to know and spoke her mind and never backed away from a controversial situation. More times than I wish to count she steered me away from a path which could have resulted in problematic situations not only in educational matters but in political ones as well.

Betty was athletic and only a few saw her make a move that was pretty dynamic when she could clear the main office desk which only the vice principal Doug could manage at a much younger age. She was fit and for her size mighty and as I was reading an older year book found out she was a track and field star when she attended Pembroke Collegiate. Betty loved the students and at the front line she managed to keep a stern face but had an understanding heart and a good sense of humour.

Betty shared her respect and admiration for her father who returned from the war with physical disabilities. Betty received a gift from her Dad that she held lifelong and that was of the beauty and value of reading. Betty said there was nothing written that her father wouldst read an passed this gift on to her. Betty took care of her Mom and her shared wish to become a nurse was interrupted but this did not stop Betty from becoming the best at everything she attempted.

All of our staff at PSPS loved and respected her for the valuable person she was  and will dearly miss her. For me there will be a warm place in my hearts treasury for Betty (Mac)Burgess, she was a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...