Saturday, November 1, 2014

Halloween 2014

Last year Theresa and I entertained 17 spooks on this special evening for children. This year we questioned whether it was worth while to even open the door. However since I carved a pumpkin for the last 55 years I decided to carve two as they were $.88 each at No Frills. I placed them on our door step and waited for the children to come. Doris always likes to see the children in costume so she came for supper and stayed. She told us how important this day was when they were kids.That would be over ninety years ago. I never thought they celebrated way back then.
The evening wore on and still not a child but we could hear some coming. Two dressed up kids appeared at the door and they were cute and polite. Our evening was made. I had a Detroit Red Wings game on but I stayed by the front door. A couple more and all was quiet. Theresa decided to take Doris back home and I was in charge. It was about 8 o'clock.

I went down to my hockey game and Detroit was winning 4 - 0. I was interrupted by the door bell. Eight teen aged kids were there with outstretched arms with bags bulging with goodies. I gave them the bowl and the bowl was no longer full. I returned to the warmth of the fire place and the game and another hit on the doorbell. Four kids and again polite and happy in spite of the rain and cold wind. I decided to stay up by the door and one after the other they came.

Theresa had not returned and our count was now thirty. I found more candies and emptied the boxes into the large tin bowl expecting many more spooks. Two more groups came and our count was 37 a new record for us during the preceding five years . Theresa came home and closed out the lights as there were no more kids on our street but it was a god evening and I loved to see most of the kids with nice costumes and very polite. There was just enough candy left for Theresa to satisfy her sweet tooth so all in all it was a happy Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...