Friday, August 29, 2014

Mom's Flocks

In 1966 when we bought our first home we visited home in Cape Breton.  My mother had a beautiful garden made up of mainly flocks and planted in what I would call an ash pile. The flowers flourished and I wished to have some. Mom dug up a small root and put it in a bag with earth and watered it well.

When we arrived home in Pembroke I carefully planted it and the next year it came up and flowered. It was purple. We moved several times and when the moving day came I took along some of the flocks. Here in Oakville I planted them in the back yard and each year thy were a different colour.

This year I moved them to the front yard facing the road and they grew very well but this time they came up white and mauve. I have had these flowers now for a long time and every year I receive a surprise when they bloom. Perhaps Mom is trying to tell me something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...