Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Summer in the High Arctic

In the High Arctic this would be mid summer. While I lived up there the summer months were actually weeks. Although there was total sunlight for three months the summer really began around the end of June and ended when freeze up began as early as mid August. During this period of time everyone who could left the Hamlet and went out on the land.

Many Inuit just used a white tent for the weeks on the land but many built little shacks by the ocean where they kept busy catching char and drying it for winter.This was busy times for the families who had to catch hundreds of fish to keep them in food during the long winter. I used to visit many of these little settlements and was always greeted by the Inuit with a hearty welcome and time for tea. Tea pot was always on and pilot biscuits and canned jam nearby  for guests and drop ins like me.

The char were caught in nets which were strung out into the salt water and anchored to the shore. The char travelled in huge numbers along the shoreline and would run into the nets. The Inuit would then pull in the net catching many char. Sometimes there would be so many fish that it would take a long time to clean and cut the fish. The fish then were hung out to dry in the wind and sun. There were seals acting as thieves as they would hang around the nets and when they would see fish caught they dove for the free food.

On one particular day I was nearing the camp of the Commissioner of the NWT when I herd a calling and stopped to see what the fuss was about. Mart the Commissioner and husband John had just shot a seal which was stealing some fish .John was about to cut up the seal and invited me to share. I was not much for seal meat as I found it oily and bad tasting. I did however on this occasion share some fresh seal liver which I liked. The seal was skinned and offered to me so I Took the gift. After staying for tea and biscuits I left with my new treasure.

I brought the seal skin to my camp and cleaned the flesh carefully and tacked it to a plywood to dry. Not knowing that you could not leave the hide unprotected I returned home and left the freshly stretched hide in the sun outside my camp.When I returned next day there was the board minus the hide. Foxes love seal hides and completely ruined my gift.

Summer was great for the Inuit as the families bonded at their camps away from alcohol and distractions that interfere with their real roots as people of the Tundra. I treasured my time with these people who were so sharing and I learned much about their way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...