Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Persistence Pays Off

Our monthly golf tournament was held today and it was a straight game score minus your handicap. The weather was iffy but we had some 60 golfers register and pay their $15. In my category there were 24 people. Most of the people in my group were better golfers than I but they were not used to playing in less than perfect weather.

As the game proceeded the rain came and three of the members of my foursome decided to quit. I took my bag and waited on the seventh golf tee. Soon a group came along and I joined them. After nine holes two more quit and I was keeping pace and playing my usual game. By the time I finished the eighteen holes there were many men in the clubhouse having a beer.

As I finished my game and added up my score and deducted my generous handicap, I was convinced that I was out of the money. I joined my group and we laughed about the quitters and some said I had a chance since about ten from my division did not complete the game.

As the prize money was announced and handed out, low and behold  I came in third. I won good money and realized that persistence does pay off. Last man standing theory won out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...