Friday, March 1, 2013

Fishing The Flats With Ron and Frank

Ron and Frank are two fishermen who know the Flats around Pine Island like the back of their hand. With a well equipped boat and their knowledge of how to catch the variety-of fish found on the Flats I was happy indeed to be asked to fish with them.

From the moment we put the boat in the water until we completed the day I was entertained by the wealth of information passed on to me . Everything from the types of bait  to the best manner to retrieve  the cast I became a better shallow water fisherman.

We fished in water which was from five feet to two feet deep.Trout, lady fish (poor mans tarpon),jacks and even a few that were unfamiliar to me. The best keepers were the  mackerel which gave a great fight and are excellent eating.  A lizard fish with sharp teeth and a small catfish were the ones you have to be careful handling as they have spines .

We fished all day under the hot sun but a gentle breeze kept us relatively comfortable.. In spite of the sunscreen we all received more sun than we should have but if I was asked to fish again today I would be there. Fishing Florida waters is so rewarding that every day on the water is a special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...