Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Slip In Time

A week ago while Theresa was in Texas, I had a slip that changed my plans. I had planned to do so much while I was alone: gardening, planting a new tree and a general cleanup of the garage and the property. Everything changed when I decided to take a shower before bedtime. I had been fishing all day with friends and smelled of fish and fish bait. I decided to have a hot shower and to just stand in the stream to relax and revitalize my tired bones.

All went well for the 20 minutes under the hot water but I decided to shampoo my hair as well. I took too much shampoo and covered my head and the overflow trickled down to my eyes. This happens on a regular basis but this time my eyes really stung... I rinsed and the shower was covered with suds. I reached for the large towel and started to rub my eyes and hair. As I stepped out of the shower my left foot touched the mat but my right foot reached slippery tile.

With my towel over my head,  the first thing I saw was my right foot flying in the air and I was on my way back. I pulled the towel tightly over my head fearing an impact with the floor. I saved my head but my right hip and knee met the tile with a crack. I was stunned and lay there naked as a jay bird and in no condition to move. All kinds of thoughts came to pass over my clouded brain. Did I break my hip? My knee, was it OK?

I lay there for five minutes and when the pain subsided I reached for the tortured parts and found everything as it should be except there was a cruel pain in my right leg. I rolled over and attempted to get to my knees. I was unable to do so but I reached the door under the sink and eventually to the sink itself and began to pull myself up. I managed to get to my knees and with a special effort made it up on one leg.

I dried myself off and with the help of the wall and furniture made it to the bed and my clothes pilled  up on the floor. I could not reach them so I grabbed my housecoat and with a lurch managed to get to my easy chair. After all the wings were playing hockey and I could not miss that. After a small drink of rum and Pepsi I settled into a sleep in the chair. I missed most of the game but woke up feeling better.

From now on I will never come out of that shower with a towel over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...