Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pride Week In Toronto

Not so many years ago people in general were hesitant to use the word  Gay in public. Our generation thought that people with a different sexual orientation were Queer. That word resonates with me as I lived through all the years when Canada wrestled with just how to deal with a segment of the population who were different. Fortunately we had a prime minister who brought the issue to the forefront and made strong statements which enabled there to be an open discussion on rights for every Canadian.

During my lifetime I have had contact and been close friends with people who were Gay. They were integrated into our family as lifetime friends and never felt the shame of words which marginalized their worth.Some of my best memories were of people who were shocked by my being associated with gay people.

One instance stands our during an election for Mayor of Pembroke. One well placed lady in the community said she liked me but why did I befriend gay people as my friend. The shock came when I replied that you don't want me to associate with Gays....well I guess I cannot associate with your nephew. She was absolutely taken by surprise. Months later after the election she met me and with a smile and a handshake thanked me for making her aware that being Gay was not a plague but a normal orientation for many of the people who live in and contribute to our community.

Since that time I have been a advocate for equal rights for all and enjoy the company of family and friends who just happen to be Gay. I know there is a whole bunch of letters that describe the Pride Week community but you can get the picture from my rather casual manner that we must be transparent and accepting of people of all leanings. Pride week somehow does just that even with all of its problems and faults. We live in a better space since people came out of the closet and joined society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...