Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Squirrels 31...Henry 0

This year I was very careful to collect the chestnuts which I was going to plant. I dried them and everything looked great for the planting. I had 31 beautiful nuts ready and the pots filled with the perfect mixture for a successful crop.

I took the chestnuts outside  in a flower pot and placed them on  a small stand near the hose. The pot was uncovered but I never suspected that there were some thieves in the neighbourhood. I went in the house for lunch and never suspected that the thieves were squirrels.

While I was eating lunch I noticed a lot of activity outside. We are used to squirrels out on our deck but this time they were up close to the window. I never suspected what was happening. When I went outside to plant the chestnuts there was not a single nut remaining. The squirrels ate every one I thought. I was a little upset so decided to prepare the tomato garden for next year. I noticed new holes in the soil and after digging up the soil I recovered three nuts.

The squirrels were helping me plant the chestnuts but as there were thirty one I suspect they will be cropping up all over the place next spring. I learned a lesson but it took two occasions to learn. Last year I left the tulip bulbs on the table and the squirrels ate half of them before I caught on.  I will not make this mistake again .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dad, I love your stories!
    These Thieves may be little critters but they are sly and quick... I wonder what you will leave out for them next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...