Thursday, November 21, 2013

Memories

Memories are just that. I recently wrote a blog about my fathers dog Snoopy.My recollection was that the dog wandered into Dad's yard and became a permanent fixture.My father is Charlie Brown and with his dalmatian named Snoopy it made a great story. The fact that he slept on the roof of the doghouse was even better.

For years I have been telling this story and last evening my bubble burst because the real story came to my attention. Now to be factual I was not living back in Cape Breton when Snoopy became a family member. My baby brother who is no baby now actually had the dog sent home to Sydney Mines in a crate on the CNR express.

David who was attending college in Truro hitched a ride home and
met the train and delivered the dog to Mom and Dad. Now the truth is known. Actually I liked the first version best at first but to think a young fellow would actually go through the trouble to get this dog to his parents rings square with me.

I wonder with memory being the issue how many of my stories are actually factually correct or just the memory of an event which remained in the dark recess of my brain until I tell it sometime. Either way I love the idea that people have many wonderful tales to tell and if they are somewhat changed in some fashion because of the ravages of time it doesn't really matter.....remember it is only a memory.

1 comment:

  1. I am 29 and my memory is fading too. I guess the more we add to the brain, old layers of the brain are overwritten. Nice post.

    You are true. There are several versions to a story. There are several interpretations.

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...