Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Keys To Success

Theresa prides herself in always taking care of keys, making sure the car and house are locked every time we leave and generally is a careful person. We also know that the one job around the house I do not like very much is plumbing.

With these two thoughts I will tell you a story stranger than fiction. We arrive home after being out for some time and Theresa makes a quick exit to the basement bathroom. This is not unusual as I do the same thing when I am out for an extended period of time where there are no facilities.

I was in the family room when I heard this commotion. Theresa used the toilet and flushed as she stood to arrange her clothing and her keys fell into the toilet bowl as she flushed. I heard the keys hit the water and Theresa letting out a small but painful yelp. Being curious about the alarm in her voice I  went to her rescue. Theresa was very upset as the key chain had the car remote, house keys and other items. Looking down the toilet bowl was of no consequence as all we saw was clear water after the flush.

I tried to reach into the dark recess of the toilet with no success. I have a snake and tried to get some satisfaction but again with no success. We both decided that the keys were gone. However we decided to not use this toilet until today. This day we were going to go to the Milton Fair but the weather was not good.  I decided to take up the toilet and maybe, just maybe, the keys would be there.


'

I hate plumbing but I just installed this unit a few months ag0 so I asked Theresa to go to Home Depot and get a new wax seal  and We would be OK. Theresa left and I removed the toilet without a problem but it was heavy and when I moved it away and laid it on it's side a splash of water came out on the floor.As I inspected the bottom of the toilet I saw a key in bedded in  #@%$#@ and I removed it and placed it in the sink. After washing the keys they were none the worse as they were water proofed.

The wax seal only cost $1.89 but I fixed it and cleaned out the  mess that caused the keys to be rescued. In a few minutes I had the toilet back in place and the mess cleaned up. Just as I completed the job Theresa came in with not one but two wax seals. It seems that the girl  thought we might like a better than ordinary one so Theresa bought two. As I showed Theresa the keys she was extremely happy and we both were better off for the effort.

I am keeping the extra seals as this might not be the last time one of us has an accidental dropping of something valuable into the toilet but this time I would just say these were the keys to success. A happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. So funny!! And that was my biggest fear when I was in China using the squatter toilets. I started zipping up my pockets to avoid any keys crisis!

    ReplyDelete

Ï'm interested in what you think ...