Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sunnybrook Health Center

I had the good fortune to pass a day at the Sunny Brook health center. I was there for a series of tests to determine whether I was allergic to penicillin. After fighting traffic to get there on time there was not one empty space at the many parking lots. Finally I spotted a car leaving so drove very fast to capture this prize. Several other people had the same idea so it was a race. Happily I was there first and entered the $23 for all day parking. Trying to hurry back to my car with the ticket to display it on the dashboard I realized that I had but two minutes to make my entrance at the reception desk.

Theresa was not with me so I had to put all my organizational skills to the test. It is so much easier when you have a partner to do the thinking for you and to find your way in these large institutions. I came ready to share my day with the hundreds of people milling around. I was lucky as all the serious work for me was done in one location this time. After getting the many needles I had ti settle in for a 2 and then four hour wait.

I decided to look around and consulted a large map on the wall. This place is huge and home to thousands of workers. I wandered through corridors and a dozen waiting rooms and while taking a break struck up a conversation with an elderly couple. They happened to have a cottage on Trout Lake near Barrys Bay and their neighbour was from Pembroke. We had many mutual friends so an hour of the wait was shared with good company.

We departed and I found myself in the area where people with copd were being treated. Gasping for air, coughing and some choking gave me the idea that young smokers should see this and they may think more clearly before taking that first puff. Many people there were not smokers but the majority were but the end result was the same. My empathy was building and I moved on. The next area was concerned with people who required limbs and other devices to aid their ability to cope with life.

I have been in hospitals before and observed sick patients but here at Sunny Brook the sheer number of people with problems overwhelmed me. The variety of malfunctions being treated was stunning and  you could not be a visitor there without realizing the tremendous responsibility placed on our medical system .Probably because of the election there is a focus on the costs associated with this service and it not difficult to see why many people are upset. We here in Southern Ontario are right in the middle of one of the most modern and up to date systems but many who live away from the hub have less than satisfactory medical attention.

My mind wanders for the last hours of waiting time and I people watch. Every nationality is represented in this group and the many languages spoken makes you realize just how multi-cultured we really are. IT is fascinating to live in this complex society where a visit to a hospital forces you to see the real Canada. My hours at this health center gave me a healthy respect for the work being done by our care givers and my wandering about makes me a strong supporter of our health system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...