Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Found Precious Object

Theresa and I have bought a new home and of course we have to pack but before that we have to downsize and get rid of the clutter. Over the years we have moved and every time we get rid of some of the stuff we really don't need nor use. I lost a pin my father was given when he volunteered for the Army in 1939. I was given it by my father many years ago and always kept it with my pin collection. It disappeared.

I never let myself believe that it was really lost but just misplaced. Today I was getting rid of old jewelry and discovered that I never threw away much but put it in a box for safe keeping. I actually had eight such boxes and counted twenty four watches, three worked but I just kept them because the bracelet was ok or whatever.

I looked at credit cards by the dozen, screw nails and picture hangers and numerous items that I had not even looked at for years. Cuff links, tie clips, name cards from banquets and a million other things I deemed collectable at the time. Today I opened a special little jewelry box where I kept rings. My school ring, first signet ring, Masonic ring, university ring and several other rings which either did not fit or were in need of repair. There wrapped up in a small plastic bag was my fathers pin. You would have thought I struck gold as my happiness was extreme. After years I looked at this tiny object which showed that my father was a person ready to go off to war and worn with pride by all Canadian Servicemen after the second great war.

Good things do happen when you clean up your clutter but look carefully at every object before throwing it in the waste paper basket as it could be a precious item.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ï'm interested in what you think ...